29.8.10

Light and Dark


It's been a while since I did a project simply for the fun of it. Now don't get me wrong just about every video I do is fun but it's been a while since I was able to push something in whichever direction I want. Strahan Loken and I are overflowing with concepts for videos so when we both find enough time to put one into play we're happy. I have a love...no, I have an obsession with light. This project is a tribute to that.
The first two shoots were a mix of highs and lows as we rolled into locations minutes behind the light, struggled with threatening black clouds, and were swarmed by angry wasps. At the end up the first two shoots we came out on top with some awesome footage that we really couldn't be happier with. The vision for the project stems from an uncompromising desire to capture the most stunning and surreal light. This means you've gotta shoot in the last few minutes of the day which makes for really short shoots. I find this the most exciting way to make a video. Really putting the time and effort into getting the shots you want. So many times you go out on a shoot and come back wishing conditions were better. Well, this is my art project and I'm gonna wait until conditions are optimal to pull the trigger. There's gonna be no shoulda, coulda, woulda with this. Only the best light we can find.
Tonights shoot was one that we've been waiting a year to pull off. It's a 300m long southfacing ridgeline overlooking oceanic vistas and arbutus forest that is blasted with golden light late in the day. The shoot when seamlessly aside from how fleeting light undoubtedly will be. The location of it means that if you want to shoot it at sunset then you better be ready for the ride out through a very dark forest. Luckily we came prepared. Another shoot, another several shots to plug into the timeline. Piece by piece the project takes shape. Off to Quebec for World Champs on Monday so I'll have to put the project on the backburner for a week.

Stay tuned for the video!

1 comment:

Secco said...

F**k yeah Aaron. That's the best perspective you can have. Just like LC, spend time not money.